Photographs from the Weekly BIASAN meeting
Live music and dancing at a BIASAN event
The Resource Centre hosts a number of Community Networks which are active on a weekly basis. Here are some of them:
Bradford Immigration & Asylum Support & Advice Network
BIASAN (Bradford Immigration & Asylum Support & Advice Network) has been going, in its present form, since the year 2000. It was formed at Bradford Resource Centre by Trade Unionists, anti-racists, people from religious organisations, and refugees themselves to give support to those new arrivals who were coming to Bradford at that time. Whilst it has a campaigning function, its main activities at present (September 2012) are as follows:-
· Drop-In with hot food; legal advice from a pro bono immigration solicitor; musical, artistic and gardening activities, at Bradford Resource Centre every Thursday 6-8pm.
· Women’s Club for support to women and children. This is held at Frontline Initiative in Manningham every Thursday from 1.30-3.30pm. There is a sewing club and second-hand goods are often available, as well as friendship, networking, art activities, talks, etc.
· Conversational English classes run by trained and qualified volunteers for those who are not able to access ESOL classes but wish to improve their English. These are held at the Resource Centre every Wednesday and Thursday, 4.30-6pm.
· One-off activities such as residential, seaside trips, music fund-raisers, talks and discussions, etc.
BIASAN relies solely on volunteer labour. It has never had paid staff. Apart from occasional help from small charities, it relies entirely on its own fund-raising efforts. BIASAN is extremely grateful to individuals and organisations who assist ‘in kind’, including Bradford Resource Centre.
Join us and join the growing campaign against the UK Government’s cuts and privatisation in our workplaces, community and welfare services.
Our regular monthly Organising Meeting is on the 2nd Tuesday of every month at Bradford Resource Centre 6:00 – 8:00 pm.
For more information visit our website
British Red Cross; Bradford Destitution Drop-in
Bradford Destitution Drop-in
Every Tuesday 10am – 2pm at the Arts and Resources Centre
We help destitute refugee and asylum seekers access essential services and adjust to life in a new country. We can support you by:
· Providing emergency food provisions, toiletries and warm blankets, when available.
· Signposting or referring you to relevant organisations.
· Offering basic advice, advocacy and help with filling in forms.
· Helping you to access legal advice, wherever possible
· Providing emotional support.
If you require emergency food provisions please bring your S95/S4 support termination letters or any other relevant papers.
Red Cross Office 0113 201 5240
Workers Health and Advice
What do we do?
We provide free, independent and confidential
information and advice on health and safety. Here is an
A-Z of just some of the subjects we cover.
Bullying Office work
Dust Q fever
Electricity Repetitive strain injury
Homeworking UV radiation
Job control Woodworking
Lifting Young workers
Machinery Zoonotic infections
The office is open for information and advice on
Monday to Thursday each week, between 10.00 and
4.00. You can telephone us on 01274 393949. If we are
busy you can leave a message on the answering
machine and we’ll get back to you.